Friday, June 26, 2015

Eli - 2000-2015

We lost a member of our family yesterday. Our beloved dog, Eli, passed away after a short illness. We had left him at a kennel while we were in Columbus, Ohio, for the Southern Baptist Convention. He fell ill a few days after we returned and never really got better. 

Eli was nearly 15 years old, but his death still came as a shock to all of us. He for progressively worse until  Pamm decided to take him to the vet. They gave him  some antibotics and an IV, as he was severly dehydrated. The fluids and medicine seemed to help for a day, then he got worse again. I found him dead when I got home from work. Before Pamm got home I dug a hole in the backyard and buried him. He was a good dog. The best  dog, in fact, that I ever had. Period. He will be missed.

Here's what I wrote about Eli when we welcomed him into our home in 2001:

Ely Joins the Yarbrough family
TIM'S JOURNAL
May 25, 2001

I took a day off of work today to be home with the kids on their first day home for summer vacation. It will be nice to have a four-day weekend for a change. It didn't start too early, however, has I slept until about 10 a.m. I have a good reason, though, because I stayed up late last night preparing for my public relations class at Columbia College. I only have this weekend, next week and next weekend to get ready, so I having to get busy.

Hannah went to play at Meredith's house this afternoon. While she was gone we went to the animal shelter and got a new puppy. He's an eight-month old Pomeranian that we've named Ely. I can't tell you happy Hannah was when she got home and saw Ely. She's outside now playing with him. In fact, she mentioned to me on the way back from Meredith's that she wanted a dog for her birthday.

Well, it looks like Goverrnor Bob Holden has gotten himself into a bit of hot water over all the money that was spent on his inauguration. Apparently there are several businesses that still haven't been paid for expenses incurred putting on the inauguration. He had a news conference this morning to explain the situation. He has pledged to pay back the extra expenses in the next couple of months. More than $1 million was spent.


We had shrimp and fish tonight for our "Family Celebration." We recognized Caleb and Hannah's accomplishments in school, Pamm getting her new job at Westphalia and me finishing up my class at MU. Everyone shared things about what made their year special, or something that they've learned this year.

Here's a couple of the last photos of Eli alive. You can tell that he doesn't feel well:



Here's some pics of Eli through the years:

 This Hannah and Caleb not long after we got Eli.

 Eli the Razorback.

 Skyping with Caleb when he was in Japan for a mission trip.

 Happy in Georgia.

 Sick in Georgia, Christmas 2009.




No comments: